As I'm sure you know, October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I decided to make something pink, these yummy Strawberry Cake Nutella Cinnamon Rolls in support of breast cancer. Breast cancer awareness is near and dear to me because my mom and my grandmother are both breast cancer survivors. I don't really remember my grandmother having breast cancer, because I was only 5, but my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer 3 years ago.
While my mom's cancer was not as bad as it could have been, that is because it was detected early. So make sure that you get your early mammograms and support your mothers, daughters, and friends in doing the same, it could save their life.
In 2009, my mother noticed a lump on her breast. She had lumps before, but the doctors said they were not anything to worry about. Like she had with the last ones, she went to the doctor to check it out. She had her last mammogram 2 years before, so she was really lucky they were able to catch the cancer early. She then went for a biopsy to find out if she had cancer.
I remember the day she was to find out the results of her biopsy, I had a job interview. I wanted to know the results, but I knew if there was bad news that I would never get through my job interview. I was worried throughout the whole day and interview (I ended up not getting the job) and when I was done, I called my mom and found out that she had cancer. I remember sobbing and I didn't know what to think, I couldn't imagine my mom not being there. My mom is always there for me and the rest of my family and she is one of my best friends. My dad is sick and my mom takes care of him, while taking care and being there for everyone else, so she really is the rock of our family.
She had surgery in August 2009 to remove the cancer and then had to undergo radiation, luckily she did not have to undergo chemotherapy. She has now been cancer free for about 3 years. She has had a couple of scares with other lumps, but thankfully the cancer has not returned.
Thanks for reading my mom's story! Please stop by the Susan G. Komen website and learn more about breast cancer and find a way to get involved!
These cinnamon rolls are awesome!! While they are a little time consuming to make as you have to wait for the yeast to rise, they are otherwise not that hard. I love the strawberry and nutella flavor combined with the typical cinnamon roll taste. If you just want to make the strawberry cinnamon rolls, you can just skip the nutella. Yum, these were so delicious!! Looking at these pictures makes me want to lick my computer screen!
Strawberry Cake Nutella Cinnamon Rolls
(Cake cinnamon roll recipe adapted from Love From The Oven)
1 box strawberry cake mix
2 packages dry yeast
2 1/2 cups warm water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon salt
5 cups flour (if the dough is really sticky you may need more, I added an additional cup of flour)
1 cup nutella
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 container cream cheese frosting
1. Mix the warm water and the yeast until the yeast is dissolved.
2. In a large bowl, combine the strawberry cake mix, the flour, and the salt. Add the yeast mixture and vanilla to the cake mixture and mix together.
3. Cover the dough for 1 hour to rise. Punch down and then let the dough rise for another 30-60 minutes. Punch down again. If the dough is really sticky, you can add more flour. I also found the dough was easier to work with if you break it into 2 sections.
4. Roll the dough out on a floured surface and make a rectangular shape. It should be 1/4 inch thick.
5. Once the dough is rolled out, brush with the softened butter to cover the dough. Then spread the nutella evenly on top of the butter. Sprinkle the brown sugar on top of the nutella and butter. Then sprinkle the cinnamon on top, using as much as desired.
6. Starting at the end opposite to you, roll the dough towards you until all the dough is rolled into one long piece. Then slice the dough into 24 equal pieces. Place the rolls into 2 greased 9x13 pans. Cover the rolls and let rise until double in sized (about 5 minutes).
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool slightly. Then frost with the cream cheese frosting.
Linked to these parties