I know I've talked about how my husband loves cinnamon buns, but I am not sure if I have mentioned his love for donuts. He makes bets where the reward is donuts, instead of money. He even organized a donut day once a month at the school where he teaches.
I thought it would be a great idea to combine both of my husband's favorite desserts, cinnamon buns and donuts. This was a fantastic idea, they were so good!!! The cinnamon buns were really good with cinnamon and sugar on them and this is a really easy donut to make.
These donuts are made using refrigerated cinnamon rolls. I cut the donut holes by using a soda bottle top. The bottle top was an easy way to make the perfect sized donut hole, without having to buy any special tools. I cooked the donut holes as well as the donuts. The donut holes make a great little snack.
I made these with a cinnamon and sugar topping, but I also glazed some of them by drizzling the icing on top of the donuts or by dipping the top of the donut in the icing.
These are a easy and delicious donuts and would be great for Fat Tuesday or Fasnacht Day next week or just because.
Cinnamon Roll Donuts
1 can refrigerated cinnamon rolls, (icing optional)
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place the cinnamon rolls on a cutting board. Using a soda bottle top, a biscuit cutter, or other similar object to cut a hole in the middle of the cinnamon roll.
3. Place the melted butter in a medium sized bowl. Mix the cinnamon and sugar in another medium sized bowl. Roll the whole cinnamon roll into the butter, coating the whole roll. Shake off any excess butter and then roll the entire cinnamon roll in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Coat the cinnamon roll with cinnamon sugar, then place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat with the remaining cinnamon rolls and donut holes.
4. Bake for 13-17 minutes or until golden brown.
5. The icing is optional, but to use, microwave the icing, with the lid off, for 10 seconds. Then glaze the donuts or donut holes by one of two methods: 1. Drizzle the icing on top of the donuts or donut holes. 2. Place the icing into a bowl and dunk the top of the donut or donut hole in the icing, covering the top.
Serve hot or microwave to reheat.
Linked to these parties